Monday, May 4, 2009

... I'm late but I'm here...

Déjà vu like a fuh-mucker.

Twice in the last few months I have run into an old friend and both times the conversation pretty much went the same way.
(insert typical greetings and friendly exchanges after a long separation here)
Old Friend: So how’s the writing thing going? Every time I’m in a bookstore I look for something that could be by you but I have no idea what name you’re writing under. What name you usin?
Angel: Hunh?
Old Friend: What?
Angel: Oh, I thought you said something
(awkward pause)
Old Friend: I just wondered how many books you got published?
Angel: well, I never really got around to-
Old Friend: Oh, so you did decide to go with journalism. Are you at a newspaper or magazine?
Angel: Oh, I uh, uh…. Holy!!! What’s that over there???
Old Friend: What? (spinning around) Where?
Angel flees by foot.


And since nothing clears the head quite like a brisk run, it occurred to me that I’ve been living my life with backward motivation. The decisions I make are based on the end results that I don’t want. This of course means in order to avoid one thing because I think it might be bad, I end up avoiding another thing even though it might be good.

I have avoided blogging for years for a number of reasons:


(1) Everybody’s doing it. I’m different from everybody. I will not do it.
(2) Blogging is for annoying people that have opinions on everything and not enough people to listen. Sure I have opinions, but not every thought that pops into your head is worth giving attention to. And besides all that who the heck wants to hear (read) it?
(3) “Susie” has a blog. Susie (not her real name of course) is a woman I knew for years that fell into my reason #2 category. She once told me her favorite part of the day was picking a random person to start an argument with because it made her feel superior. That’s a true story. I perceived Susie as being a loser with many issues. I do not wish to be perceived by others as a loser with many issues; so if Susie blogs, I should not.
(4) Finally, I just didn’t get it. I keep a diary and if someone were to find it and publish it, I’d probably have to find them and make them spend a day with Susie for retribution. So why would I keep an online diary? It's just one more thing to not keep up with.


Alas, it turns out all of my preconceived notions about blogging were wrong. Well, maybe not all but enough to make me consider finally setting up one for myself. And aside from all that a friend of mine, (let’s call him Bob) that happens to be a literary agent (though not my own) said, “what kind of writer doesn’t have a blog?” I shared with him my reasons.
“Can you give me a good reason why I should start a blog?” I challenged.
Bob didn’t blink. “Do it, or I’ll kill you”


You win Bob.


And I'm reasonably sure that Bob meant that blogging would be a great way to improve my writing.
This should be an interesting journey for me and my writing. And I look forward to making new friends along the way. (No offense to Sue and Bob- you are truly great friends!)


Next step is to upgrade from ol' Bessie...

Song stuck in my head right now: The Yessirs version of “How does it feel?”





Just wondering: Why is it that the same salesperson that followed you around asking if you needed help every 5 minutes doesn't know the answer to any of your questions once you finally ask for help?

No comments:

Post a Comment