Saturday, April 3, 2010

..."Art" Ain't What it Used to Be...

So the "big" news this week is the Erykah Badu video for "Window Seat"
 "They who play it safe, are quick to assassinate what they don't understand," she speaks, off camera. "They move in packs, ingesting more and more fear with every act of hate on one another. They feel more comfortable in groups, less guilt to swallow. They are us. This is what we have become, afraid to respect the individual."
 "I expected the gossip blog sites to spin it negatively," Badu tweeted. "I expected people to ride with me. ... So it is true. Being honest CAN get u assassinated. Your character, spirit,& sometimes physically. Interesting. What drives this? Keep dialoging."

Okay, I will:
  1. I am all for beautiful art. I love art. I collect art. This is not art.  It's not even innovative. Frankly, it's garbage.
  2. Erykah Baud says this video was "inspired by Matt and Kim"-   Two no talent hacks in dire need of attention trying to sell crap records. We can see how well that worked out. Et tu, Ms.Badu?
  3. If this is an attempt to be honest, why not just do a video that says, "My album is going to suck, so I'm distracting you with this video. Discuss." 
  4. Don't insult my intelligence by suggesting that I don't get it or "understand" your message. The fact that you have to do a voiceover to explain it, says that the visual didn't communicate it properly to begin with.  So the message is really what? You wanted an excuse to show your butt, and now you're naked in the middle of the street. 
As far as I'm concerned, these types of videos should be reserved for pretty girls without any real talent, that don't want longevity, just 15 minutes of fame and/or an overpaid athlete to knock them up and send them checks once a month.


She claims that she wanted to stress individuality with this, but chicks that are willing to demean and debase themselves for attention are a dime a dozen. (and probably going for much cheaper in this economy.) The world is already too full of messages that suggest to young girls that there's some power in taking your clothes off – do we really need another one? It’s not even true! Real power truly does come from knowledge. Why didn’t she just read a book? I don't think I've ever seen that in a music video. Now that would be innovative!

Finally, if I want to see an okay-looking butt or some chunky thighs, I'll turn around and look at my own. At home. Behind a closed door. Not every part of you is meant to be shown to everyone else. Have a little class.



Better "be an individual" video: The Roots "What They Do"
 - because it's one of the best bands ever and this video is so on point, it's getting harder  to find the version wtih the captions included. I swear this manual really does exist


Better "one shot" video: Xzibit, "What You See is What You Get"
 - because I love little details and this video is full of them



Better "naked" video: D'Angelo "Untitled (How Does it Feel)"
 - And no, not because it's a man, but because we know we won't see anything, and the threat and anticipation is more exciting than than any payoff .


Better "creative wardrobe" video: Lil Kim "Crush On You"
 - because not since The Wiz has there been a better matching of clothing, lighting and sets


Better Erykah Badu video: "Honey" - because the song is hot, she looks beautiful, and this truly celebrates  some of the best art in music.


"Peace and blessings, y'all"

No comments:

Post a Comment