Sunday, November 7, 2010

...Pharrell, Chad, and Shae, I want to Squeeze Your...

Photos: James Sutton
…Upper bodies in the best hugs ever. (What did you think I was going to say?)

Not just because you’re all so physically cute and who wouldn’t want to climb all over you- which reminds me of a dream I once had about the four of us in a kiddie pool filled with jell-o… wait, what was I saying?

Oh yeah, I’d like to hug you as a sincere sign of my appreciation for the years of phenomenal music you’ve given to music lovers everywhere. Extra squeezes for Neptunes productions.

So if you ever read this - and you probably won’t but it’s my blog and I’ll fantasize if I want to- use your imagination and feel the love and the warmth I’m sending you. We’ll call them spirit hugs.

I'd like to think that’s a good name for them, since music is a spirit. It can move you do think and feel things. It can move you to decision and action. It can move you to just sit still and be calm, and sometimes we really need that.

I posted this picture on my other blog because astonishingly, it was almost the literal depiction of what I feel when I hear the Neptunes: I’m somewhere pretty, looking at something beautiful, feeling something wonderful.

I can’t think of any other artists that have managed to do this for me consistently over the years. When I think of how many areas of my life are better than they could be thanks to wonderful music, why shouldn’t I be grateful?

We have family, we have friends, loved ones and lovers, but not all of those people really get into your soul. They don’t all lift you, or warm you from the inside, or give you chills in all the right places. And if they do, I’m willing to bet they don’t do it all the time.

But music has always done that for me. It touches me all over and stimulates every part of me. On my worst days when I felt like I had nothing, I still had music. And when I thought I was being called and did some serious consideration in joining a convent, do you know what stopped me? I would have had to give up music. I was willing to give up everything else, but there was no way I was giving up music.

It’s not just N*E*R*D/Neptunes, but I mention them specifically here because of a recent conversation I had with someone. An idiot. Since I listen to pretty much every genre, and the guys have musically gifted us in just about every genre, I have a special kind of love for them.

If there is something that you especially love, and someone is kind enough to give it to you often and just as you like, then you should say “thank you.” It’s not (as it was so aptly put to me) d---ridin. It’s called appreciation, respect, good manners. That idiot doesn’t know how lucky he is that I have such good manners.

Anyway, Pharrell, Chad, and Shae, bless you, and thank you.

And thanks to IdantotheK for compiling these


No comments:

Post a Comment