Wednesday, August 24, 2011

...We Honor Nick Ashford...

Obviously I don’t have any expectations that people should live forever.

We get older, or we get sick. Accidents happen. Doesn’t make it any easier when someone leaves your life in the physical sense of things. Certain things are just what they are.

Odds are if you were a black kid growing up in the 80s (or if you were the white kid that hung out with us), you heard a lot of Ashford and Simpson. You just did. That’s how it was.

You have some story about something that happened that you never forgot. It still makes you laugh, cry, cringe or smirk to think about. If the right song is playing, you can’t go four words past the phrase “Remember that one time…” without at least one other person chiming in before you’re done speaking. The memory remains connected to the song:


Remember that time Em came over and Mom offered him a hot dog right off the grill? And she told him to let it cool off first? And he didn’t?


Yes I remember. I remember I never saw a chunk of hot dog fly so far directly from someone's mouth. And I remember what song was playing , too.

I suppose the best thing about being as great of an artist and songwriter as Nick Ashford is that you never really go away. While the body may lie down to rest, the spirit always rises.

We celebrate and we honor that spirit.

My favorite song ever written by Ashford and Simpson
Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell – You’re All I Need to Get By (their favorite too )


My other favorite song ever written by Ashford and Simpson
Chaka Khan – I’m Every Woman (her favorite too )


Seriously funny story attached to this one, but it’s all visual, so I guess you had to be there.
Ashford & Simpson - Street Corner

Ashford & Simpson - Street Corner by klmbaby

And because you can’t salute him without it…Solid
I promise you somewhere in the world right now this is being played at a wedding anniversary party, and/or family reunion.

Ashford & Simpson ~Solid~ by LibertedExpression

No comments:

Post a Comment