Wednesday, September 26, 2012

...Sometimes I Just Wonder: Blink Twice edition

I am still working between working but things come up that get my attention, if only for a minute.


Sometimes it’s for a good reason, and sometimes not so much but a friend recently pointed out that the most excitement I express at anything these days is to blink twice in a row, hence the title.

For starters, if you pass Hernando Guanlao, give that man a hug and thank him for me. He managed to turn the front of his house (and part of his living room) into a free lending library.

No return dates, no late fees, and instead of people stealing books, they returned them and donated more.



I love this idea and would consider if I had a different living situation. And also if I didn’t hate the thought of strangers lurking around my house. I’m on another binge and need to get rid of a ton of books. I think if I sell everything I’m willing to part with for a quarter each, I could have an extra grand before Christmas. I wish I was joking. I have five full bookshelves and piles on every table and on the floor. I think I need a professional.

Kudos Mr. Guanlao.

And then Boo hiss to those Houston cops who were apparently so poorly trained that they had to shoot to death a double amputee to disarm him. The full story is here but here’s a quick summary:

Cops respond to a home for the mentally ill about an aggressive man. They arrive and the man, who is wheelchair bound and missing one arm and one leg “traps” one cop in the corner and prepares to stab him with an ink pen. The other cop shoots him for not dropping the weapon.
Now perhaps you are wondering why the other cop didn’t just, oh, I don't know... roll the wheelchair away.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Or why didn’t they just tase him, bro?  (Before you click that link, if  you've never seen or don't remember this incident, it's either hard to watch or a little bit funny. You've been warned.)

If your local police department hasn't partnered with the local mental health agency for training, now might be a good time to get on that.

In other bizarre news, the Jimmy Kimmel/ Tracy Morgan prank is at once sad, amazing, and half way funny all for the same singular reason: it worked.

Sad to think that people followed along and responded to it, amazing to think that we have the technology to do it, and funny because it just was.


Aww, pig and goat are friends.

The little goat is stuck and the pig swims out to save him. Take that, Frog and Toad.


Pushing my weekly smile quota past its limit: 5000 ducks go for a walk


This week’s earworms has a story with it.

One day when we were kids my sister woke up in the middle of the night scribbling like crazy. The next morning she claimed to have written the best song ever and called a friend to sing it to him.

He started singing back.

Word for word, and she wasn’t even to the chorus yet.

Some of you figured it out right away, but for the rest of you here’s the how:

I think I mentioned that my sister used to fall asleep with the radio on her chest. Turns out a song drifted into her subconscious as she drifted off to dreamland. Her hit record had already been recorded  by Janet Jackson. Ha!

I remembered that story after hearing this song by the Gorillaz, Samba at 13. This is apparently a B-side to Dare which came out around 2005.


I guess they fell asleep with the TV on just as this video was playing: Snoop Dogg, Beautiful, which came out around 2003. (jump to 4:36 if you can’t wait)

No comments:

Post a Comment