Wednesday, September 19, 2012

...This Guy is Bad with Numbers...


First the 51 percent thing, now this.

What the heck was this all about?


I’m going to state this as “elegantly” as I can manage:

You, sir, are an idiot.

I’m so glad this was caught on tape because no one would believe it was ever said without the video evidence.
Who would think that someone could ever utter something so unbelievably stupid, divisive, and outright false? Especially if that someone were running for president.

How can you lead a group of people when you can’t stand nearly half the people in the group?
The thing is you can’t.

You just made it clear in your own words that you have no plans to even “worry about those people.”

So who are those people?  Those 47 percent who will vote for Obama anyway,  who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. …These are people who pay no income tax.”

Who doesn’t pay taxes?

People who are so far below the poverty line that the standard deduction leaves them with no taxable income, some seniors, and some fairly well to do folks who used some tax exemptions to whittle down to a zero balance due.  




Who believes the government has a responsibility to care for them?

Not a single soul believes the government should care for us, but quite a few believe that you should at least care about us. We’re the whole reason you have jobs to begin with. Your job is to represent us and lead an organized effort to get things done in the name of what we want.

And you’re darn right that I’m entitled to health care, food, housing or you-name-it. If I have paid into the pot, then I reserve the right to take from it should I need some assistance to get those things. I would expect others to do the same.

If someone runs up on you, presidential candidate, and kicks you in the nuts, a whole swarm of people are going to zoom in and take action. You have been injured. You need assistance. They are going to remove the kicker and do everything they can to make sure that you’re safe and okay.

If someone falls down, you’re supposed to help pick them up. Or at least, ask if they’re okay. You don’t run up and do an elbow drop on them, or hop in your car and run them over.

This attitude of “Forget you, I’m taking mine … and maybe some of yours, too” doesn’t work. Yet, that seems to be the route you’ve settled on. (And had it been a rapper, then, oh boy, the consequences of it having ever been said in the first place.)

People don’t see themselves as victims, but it’s hard to not see yourself as being taken advantage of. My paystubs and tax returns (not to mention that big arse student loan bill) will show you how much I pay into this government so you’ll pardon me if I feel a little helpless to know that you are spending that money on your salaries and wars I never asked you to get involved in.

Doesn’t mean I think I’m a victim, that I’m not “thoughtful” or that I’m irresponsible.

It means if you feel that strongly about  a “smaller, smarter, simpler government”  then you can start by giving me all my tax money back – with interest- and cancelling the rest of my student loan payments.

Oh, and an interest free business loan might be nice since I’ve had two ideas fleshed out for the longest but am a long way from having the funds to get either of them started. Three ideas if you count the one that involves me exploiting a certain segment of the population, but I’m not comfortable doing that.

I guess that’s the difference between you and me. I guess that’s why you are wealthy and I am not.

I don’t have the stomach to do or say whatever it is I think people want to hear in order to get a check from them. And if we try to believe that that’s all this conversation was then you’re still an idiot. (And now that I’m re-reading the first part of that, it kind of makes you a prostitute.)

You should be ashamed of yourself for thinking like this. And ashamed of yourself for being stupid enough to say it out loud to impress some folks.

I believe that maybe you forgot about the rest of the folks.  

I believe, sir, that I fall into the category of folks to whom you were referring.

And I believe that come election day, I will remember this.

Cameo – You’re Talkin Out the Side of Your Neck

Massive Attack – Pray for Rain


Nikka Costa – Like a Feather



The rest of the Mitt Romney video clips are here on Mother Jones.
How to pay no taxes: Ten strategies used by the rich


 

No comments:

Post a Comment