Wednesday, October 10, 2012

...Short People Got No Reason...

I always wonder what made him pick “short people” over any other group?


I sing that song all the time in the grocery store when I can’t get something from a top shelf but otherwise, I don’t consider myself short and don’t generally have a problem with my height.

I think a better group would have been introverts.

Introverts got no reason…

Okay it’s not as catchy but if you consider the world seems to encourage some sort of unofficial competition where the loudest, most obnoxious person takes the top prize then “introverts” seems more appropriate over “short people.” (Who by the way can be some of the loudest people, but I assume it’s because they have to be.)

For me, “loud” is tolerable. “Loud and wrong” is where you start to see me leave the room.

For example, there’s this lady at my job. So loud is this woman, she sounds like she’s on a bullhorn every time she speaks. No matter your question, she will have a loud, clear, assertive answer for you.

She will also usually be wrong, but she says it like it’s the gospel truth and everyone always believes it is.

She has an excellent reputation but her track record sucks. It would seem that her secret is just to keep repeating and as loud as possible.

I think that was the technique Mitt Romney employed at that dreadful debate last week. Didn’t seem to me that either of them had anything to say, but one was much louder about his lack of anything than the other.

Once again it worked. Apparently the concensus is that Mr. Romney won that debate and there was a shift in public opinion after that.

Sad, but not surprising to know that people can be swayed by sexiness without regard to substance. (Triple dog dare you to read the actual full transcript.  yes it’s long, but it’s worth it)

“You better speak up,” my father would say. “If no one can hear you then what’s the point?”

On the other hand, my mother would say that you can say a lot more quietly and quickly than you ever could in a long, loud, drawn out tirade. I remain conflicted.

I caught a marathon on America’s Next Top Model and realized at some point, Tyra was ultimately training them to be the next her. I lost count how many times she felt the need to prove her point by telling a story about how her bold and brass was the key to her success.

I don’t doubt it. I just also happen to believe you could be successful without it. At least, I hope you can. It seems like people don’t acknowledge anything that isn’t twirling, glowing, and wailing, but I can always have hope it will change one day.

Not long before that I read one of those Art of Happiness books. I stopped reading after the example about how the cashier who had a cheerful word for everyone no matter how much it held up the line had mastered the art.

Personally, I can’t stand the cashier that’s all up in your business and commenting on your purchases. And it’s okay to be friendly but can’t you be fast, too? Don’t you see the line getting long?

According to the author, the “miserable” cashier would greet you, get you checked out and send you on your way with the standard valediction.

I wondered how he decided she was miserable because she was efficient?

Maybe the talkative cashier was miserable; lonely as indicated by her need to talk to every single person that passed her by. Maybe deep down she does it to annoy people because it makes her feel good to make someone else feel bad.

Since when could we judge a person’s character by the volume of their voice? And who decided that the loud voice was better than the soft one?

Sometimes we treat quiet, introverted people like they don’t matter. To our detriment, I might add.

When I was a kid, I was loud sometimes but it was truly to be heard. Even my mom will tell you that I could sit quietly for much longer than the average kid. I liked to talk to people and get their story and as long as someone was telling me their tale, I was happy.

As I got older, I went through a loud, less observant phase. Until one day I figured out that I scared people more by saying very little. Not long after that, I just lost the energy to be loud.

I definitely felt a shift in the way people interacted with me after that. I don’t always like it but I don’t always care either. It’s more of an observation.

So while they’re walking away from me thinking I’m a dingus because I don’t say much, I’m walking away from them thinking they're a jack-wagon for being so loud. Neither of us is entirely wrong or right, but it is whatever it says it is.

People make the world go round so don't thinking I'm running down our more sonorous brothers and sisters. There's a place under the sun for (almost) all people. That being said, introverts are people, too.

We are smart, sensitive, and valuable individuals. Pipe down, and learn for yourself.

As a society, we have to practice more at giving up the need to speak first, fast or loudest. I want to hear you and know you without becoming the guy in the old Maxell ad.



Break relationship barriers, not sound barriers. Learn, grow, be attentive, and be mindful.

Focus.

Listen to hear, and to understand.

And don’t be fooled by flash-- All that glitters might just be a bad Mariah Carey movie.



How fascinating that an anti-discrimination song would be accused of discrimination. Randy Newman – Short People



Chester French f/ Kardinal Offishal and N.O.R.E.

The ad makes me think of this video makes me think of the ad…
Diddy f/ Christina Aguilera – Tell Me

No comments:

Post a Comment