Wednesday, November 14, 2012

...Time's a wastin'...

So my birthday was just a few weeks ago and it’s true what they say: the older you get, the faster those suckers come around.


Not good considering my ongoing struggles with personal time management.

Seems like I just wrote a birthday post, and now here I am again thinking about the year gone by, and the year ahead; what’s done and what’s not quite there yet.

I deliberately didn’t set a ton of goals for myself in this last year just because I had a weird feeling about the year. (I was right, too.) Still the few plans I did make didn’t quite match up to my results.

It wasn’t because I didn’t dream big, it was because I know myself too well. I'm not grumbling, I'm just saying.

As usual, most of what I accomplished worked well for people that weren’t me, and I failed to scoot myself up to the front burner.

I was watching the movie, The Fighter, the other night and realized that I identify well with the protagonist, Micky. He did so much to please so many and all he had to show for it was a bashed-in face.

I don’t want to make it sound like I sat around all last year whimpering about my busy schedule and how much people get on my nerves (even if it was and they do). I half way mentioned without really mentioning a project that fell into my lap that I’m very excited about.

And since my good friends also make great enemas (haha), there had to be one to point out the somewhat obvious: “you got a good [writing] gig, but it’s still someone else’s book. No one’s ever going to know you did it.”

I’ll know. Besides I don’t care about the recognition, I write because I love it. And who knows what it could lead to.”

There are a good number of tech manuals floating around the workplace that I’ve written and none of them have my name on them. I honestly don’t mind.

“Yeah, but in the end you still spent your time doing a massive amount of work for a project that wasn’t your own. That’s one more year your own book won’t get done.” He’s got this smirk that I’m just now noticing is kind of cute, but is also making me want to uppercut him.

He’s right, though.

As super psyched as I was to get the offer –and I’m still excited- it is a lot of work that will end up postponing some other plans. I could probably try to do everything at once, but I already know I don’t have the energy for it.

It makes my step forward feel more like a step sideways.

But the more I think about it, I guess he’s only half right because for once the very hard work I’m putting into something for someone else is being appreciated. So far, anyway. Plus, the ability to make extra money in my “spare” time using a skill I have and enjoy using on top of working with some wonderful people. … wow.

Ultimately, I’m still in a good place.

Might not be the place I thought it would be, but it’s not a bad spot to land after a few wrong turns. Or maybe I’m in the right place and it just doesn’t look like what I thought it would.

Either way, if it's also true what they say about "time spent doing what you love is never time wasted," then I think I’m doing okay.

Speaking of places, I guess I should make a couple of updates.

The first thing is about Pharrell’s book. I gave sort of a book review last month,  and since then I’ve come across this video.


(places and spaces)



Which made me think of this video



I get it, okay, it was not ever meant to be considered a biography. No question about everyone involved meeting that goal, but it still isn’t what I was hoping for.

When a smart, talented, well-travelled hot guy says, here are all the places and spaces I’ve been, there is some expectation that there will be some crazy amazing insight from whatever experiences came of those places and spaces.

I want to know what you think, not what your friends think.

I’m number one (I’m #1!!) in my library’s queue for this book when it comes in so this opinion is subject to change but for now- darn you, Pharrell, and your stinkin’ misleading book title.

The other thing is way, way back (so far back I can’t find it and the search’s not working, but I’ll post the link when I find it), I made a comment about his son’s name as a resume hazard

I stand by that comment (and also remind you again to please use a professional email address.)

But it turns out the name was inspired by Elton John’s song, Rocket Man, which happens to be another one of those songs that I quietly enjoy.  It's a pretty song and I could see where the lyrics would speak to a pop spending much time on the road from the family.

Elton John - Rocket Man



And of course, the very good news is this is a kid who will probably never have to fill out a job application or anything to that effect anyway, so who gives a flying fruit nugget, right?

~~~

You know, Jimi Hendrix once said that he wasn't the greatest guitar player. But he didn't know what he was talking about so...

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile (slight return)


Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Chile Slight Return Original... by Jack-Loome

...Time is all we have....Raphael Saadiq - Ask of You




No comments:

Post a Comment