Wednesday, April 10, 2013

...My Eyebrows Wiggled...

Let’s start with well wishes to Jonathan Knight.


He apparently walked off the stage in the middle of an NKOTB performance “without explanation.”

Here is your explanation.



I never ever forgot this interview and thought he was so incredibly brave. It was obvious he wanted to hit the deck, or at crawl under the chair but he made it through and managed to shed a little light on an issue that only gets attention from the drug pushing pharmaceutical companies that want to sell you a pill for it.

I’ve had issues with anxiety and I have had panic attacks at least twice before that I could identify. In both cases I ended up outside on my hands and knees trying to catch my breath, too upset to cry but needing to desperately.

Not a pleasant feeling at all and if you can’t relate from personal experience or you can’t empathize then at least don’t be a jerk about it.

A lot of comments around this story came down to, “Hey, those fans paid money and there’s no excuse for him leaving the stage.”

The thing is, I’m pretty sure fans would rather their adored star be well than sick or dead or whatever. Seriously, if you need to go take care of yourself, go do that. Unless that means going to snort a line or something of that nature, but otherwise take care of yourself.

I’m willing to bet that the people who were complaining probably weren’t there or weren’t fans anyway.

If your money is that tight, that you would rather someone get sick on stage then leave and do a little self care, then that was a ticket you couldn’t afford. You can’t get mad at him because you made a poor financial choice.

In the case of a free show, then you wasted gas money or bus fare that you didn’t have.

And if you hitched a ride to a free show, then it costs you nothing. Shut up.

The next story I heard that made my eyebrows wiggle was the pay cut (and eventual booting) of J.C. Penney CEO Ron Johnson.

If you take a 97% pay cut and still make just under $2 million, then you were set up to fail. There’s no way you could have truly earned your paycheck.

And fail he did.

He alienated long time customers and failed to bring in new ones.

Penney’s was a favorite back to school shopping spot, and since my stylist is there, I visit at least every 2 or 3 months.

Every time I’m in there, they’re asking me to excuse their dust. Whatever department I thought I was going to visit, it was likely to be in a different location since my last visit. Even the registers kept moving.

Then there was ditching the sales… and the catalogs… and shortening the name to JCP. No long time shopper has ever or would ever call it that.

Not since Overstock decided to go by “O.CO” have we seen perceived laziness taken to new heights. Or maybe I should say taken to new lows. Either way, at least that rolled off the tongue better than “JCP.”

Way to hop on that kiddie bandwagon and give up a bird in the hand for two in the bush. Ignoring a perfectly fine customer based to go after another one.

This, my friends, is what happens when you try to fix what’s not broken. I’m not sure why it was decided the Penney’s needed a makeover but I bet they won’t try that again.

Finally, a rousing round of applause, cheers, and hooting to Sylvia Hughes who reminded us once again: if you want your kid to get a good education, you’re going to have to do it yourself.

I can’t understand why teachers keep complaining about having to “teach to the test,” but the kids are still failing that freaking test. That impossibly, ridiculously easy test.

If you’re not teaching what they need to know and you’re not teaching what they need to get by, what are you teaching?

The decision to drop cursive writing in many school districts was allegedly because kids don’t need it thanks to computers. Well are we going to stop teaching math and English, too?

If someone invents a computer that eliminates our personal waste for us, picks boogies, and scratches any itchy bits, they’ll be nothing left to do but become bedridden.

Just close all the schools now. Everyone go home.

Anyway, the glorious Ms. Hughes started a Cursive writing club for her grandson’s friends. The kids love it, too. There are already plans to continue the voluntary class next fall.

So many thanks to her for recognizing this important and beautiful art form and putting in the effort to make sure it’s preserved for future generations.

And thanks for reminding us that sometimes we have to take control and take the initiative as far as the kids are concerned.

I know there are lots of good teachers out there that know how to sneak in some knowledge on the kids in between the bullcrap. Don’t be afraid, man, stand and deliver. We support and salute you.

The “Dumb ‘em down” brigade might have lost this one to Ms.Hughes, but I’m sure they’ll be back.

And we’ll be ready.

* * *

...I don’t brag, I mostly boast...
I hope Misdemeanor is taking good care of herself these days.

Missy Elliott – Gossip Folks



I had to decide between the music on the album version and the cute guy in the video for the radio version. I’m sorry or you’re welcome.

Chante Moore – This Time



I’m not sure if it’s Usher or the make-up artists, but his skin looks delectably delicious on The Voice these days.

On another note this video features some choreography from Tionne “T-Boz” Watkins using some moves she later admitted to having “borrowed” from Diddy.

Usher – Think of You



No comments:

Post a Comment